Sunday, February 2, 2014

Head Bobbers (Wk of Jan 26)

Head Bobbers is my new title for my most interesting reads.  Yep, I changed it.  In keeping with the dance motif of my blog, I figured Head Bobbers works better.  A Head Bobber is anything I hear or read that moves me - you know, make me bob my head like I would with music.

AND... This is the inaugural week of the Sit Down and Shut Up Award.  This gives recognition to a piece of work that deserves nothing but for me to stop and listen.  Because it's that powerful.  It's like a beautiful voice that captivates you, makes you stop for a bit.  Right on.

So what did I bob my head to this week?

SCARY STUFF: Top 25 Oddball Interview Questions
I'm sure employers have a reason, but these make me nervous!

OH THAT'S WHY: Why HR Should Consider Asking Oddball Interview Questions
Interesting, but still makes me nervous!

BEST LINE: Why You Forget that God is Good, Jon Acuff
"Because we forget to stack some rocks during the moments God shows up."

BEST ANALOGY: How not to be a Racist, Bryan Loritts
Horseradish should never be eaten by itself, but when a touch of it is applied to such meats as Lamb, now it takes on a whole new meaning…What Paul understood is that culture by itself is as meaningless as being served a plate of horseradish for dinner, with nothing else.  Culture only finds meaning when submitted to Jesus Christ…Come out of your horseradish.  Engage others who look and think different from you, but do so to the glory of God.  Don’t be ashamed of your culture, but don’t revel in it either- let God sanctify and redeem it.  In the process what you’ll discover is a greater affection for Christ, others, and a greater awareness of who He’s created you to be.

BEST JOURNEY TO CLARITY:  Bootstraps and Safety Nets, Amanda Opelt
Like many Americans, I felt a certain sense of indifference towards poor in America, and there was maybe, buried deep in my subconscious, even a mild contempt.  I had this sneaking suspicion that the poor in my own country couldn't possibly be like the poor I had encountered in India.
…the only way to cultivate effective change in the lives of those in need is to become, yourself, a sort of safety net for them. The resource, the friend, the positive voice, the math tutor, the spiritual mentor they never had. It's complicated, and it can be messy. But Jesus never seemed to mind a mess, and no one he ever healed or scolded or cried for or embraced had a simple story. 

AND THE SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP AWARD GOES TO:
For the Love of Money, Sam Polk (must read full story to see his admirable life change)
There were plenty of injustices out there — rampant poverty, swelling prison populations, a sexual-assault epidemic, an obesity crisis. Not only was I not helping to fix any problems in the world, but I was profiting from them. During the market crash in 2008, I’d made a ton of money by shorting the derivatives of risky companies. As the world crumbled, I profited. I’d seen the crash coming, but instead of trying to help the people it would hurt the most — people who didn’t have a million dollars in the bank — I’d made money off it.

No comments: