Monday, February 18, 2008

Having Character vs Being a Character

My dad once said, "You've got to distinguish between the brotherhood and brothers who ARE hoods." (actually, he said it way more than once. gotta get your point across sometimes.) :-)

And another guy said in Pulp Fiction, "Just because you ARE a character doesn't mean you HAVE character." True.

Sitting in church yesterday as we studied Colossians, I ripped a sheet of paper from my notepad and jotted some thoughts about Chloe's character. Just as the Colossians were to put off their junky "grave" clothes and put on their new "grace" clothes, I'd like to see my Chloe mature into a godly woman, living God's grace. Amy and I must lead this. We also need the help of our family, our friends, our church. Influences are important. The stuff I jotted on that pad had to do with what our families can impart to her.

Given their admirable traits, I hope Chloe will be influenced by her ______:

Mommy's hospitality, good humor, and lack of worry.
Grandpa Willie's industrious efficiency, generosity, and sense of humor.
Grandma Phyllis's spiritual discipline of study, prayer, and teaching.
Uncle Brian's ability to have fun and influence his friends for Christ.
Aunt Monica's gentleness with animals.
Great-Grandmother Olivia's wisdom and faith.
Grandpa Jack's never-met-a-stranger friendliness.
Grandma Katherine's cooking and steady spirit.
Uncle David's selfless generosity and good humor.
Aunt Wendy's kindness and servant heart.
And her Daddy's thoughtfulness and creativity.

She will HAVE character!

No comments: